The 47th Annual Labour Day Classic will run Sunday, September 4th, 2022. LDC began as the Prince George to Boston Marathon, a 17-mile road race from Salmon Valley into the city.
The race has the distinction of being the event that convinced Terry Fox to embark on his Marathon of Hope (click here for full details).
PGRR’s Board of Directors voted unanimously in favour of acquiring the Labour Day Classic in the fall of 2019, when there were concerns the race would disappear from the Prince George landscape.
The Labour Day Classic is a road race that boasts a 17 Mile Run, 8.5 Mile Run, 8.5 Mile Walk, 8.5 Mile Wheelchair, 5km Run, and Kids 1km Fun Run beginning at Canada Games Plaza in downtown Prince George.
The race begins at the Canada Games Plaza and takes runners out on Canada Games Way to 7th Avenue and Dominion Street, before hitting Patricia Boulevard to begin the run into the city’s Miller Addition neighbourhood. From Patricia, participants will curve right onto Taylor Drive. Runners in the 5km will find the turnaround point on Taylor Drive in Lheidli T’enneh Memorial Park.
Participants in the 8.5 Mile and 17 Mile stay on Taylor Drive as it curves around the south end of the park and winds back up to 20th Avenue. From 20th, racers turn left onto Queensway and follow the route under the Highway 97 overpass, where the route becomes Ferry Avenue. Continue along Ferry Avenue, turning left on Upland Street and follow Upland Street for 1 mile, as participants run downhill and onto Millburn Avenue. Racers then weave from Pine Street to Oak in the VLA neighbourhood, reaching a turnaround and the Mile 6 marker at the base of Connaught Hill. Participants run back along Oak to a left turn on 17th Avenue, follow 17th back to Taylor Drive, Taylor back to Patricia. phew! Participants in the 8.5 Mile will head back to Canada Games Plaza and the finish line. Participants in the 17 Mile will find the turnaround point on Patricia Boulevard, before crossing Queensway! Then it’s on to Lap 2!!
Important Labour Day Classic Information
- Race package pick-up will be Saturday, September 3rd – stay tuned for details
- We are always looking for volunteers, please contact Race Director Jules Ubdegrove for more information
Important Race Information
- This race is not included in the PGRR membership, but members do receive a discounted entry
- masks are recommended while in the start/finish and registration areas
- Sign up online for the Labour Day Classic by clicking here
- If you plan to register the day before at the race package pick up, you can pre-fill this event waiver form at home and bring it with you
- all PGRR races include a free Kids Race
- Please leave your dog and headphones at home due to liability and safety issues
Click on this icon to see large version of race route on map